Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tiberias doesn't live up to its namesake

Yesterday I took the bus from Jerusalem up through the Israeli countryside and into the Galilee to Tiberias. The bus ride was long(3 hours), boring(nothing but hills and valleys, hills and valleys), and uncomfortable. I sat next to a hundred year old Orthodox man and behind a mother with two babies. The old guy smelled bad and the babies cried the whole way. Once we got to the hills over the city it all seemed worth it, as the sea of Galilee came into full view. Upon entering Tiberias I thought it was really hot, ugly, and a bit dirty. I made it to the hostel, which was actually a shitty hotel with a bunch of beds in shoved in each room. The staff at the hotel were not helpful and generally not nice to be around. So I thought I'd out of there and explore the city, too bad there isn't anything to explore. Well there are Roman/Crusader/Ottoman ruins, which can be seen in an hour total, and a water show. Someone tell me how shooting water in different directions is exciting at all.

The Sea of Galilee however is gorgeous. The view is incredible; perfect blue crisp water, boats sailing across, and the slopes of the Golan Heights peering down. Swimming is allowed in part of it as well, but I didn't partake. It was too cold right on the water, but scorching a block inland. Sitting on the promenade eating ice cream, listening to the water crash against the rocks, and watching the boats sail by was quite nice. That said aside from the sea Tiberias is very underwhelming, and doesn't compare to the epicness of the second emperor of Rome where it gets its name.


This morning I took the bus back to Jerusalem, which took even longer because the bus broke down in the middle of the road. Except it actually didn't, the bus driver was just too stupid to realize that you can't drive fast in first gear! Once he learned to shift the bus ran again. I didn't do much in Jerusalem today. Most of the time was spent figuring out where to go next. But I did go out for dinner and hanging out with some cool people from the hostel, three Mexicans and a Brazilian. We made fun of the seemingly 1000 birthright kids being obnoxious all over the city, it was a good time.


Tomorrow I shall leave Israel, which is a bit sad. The next stop is Jordan, which I'm sure will provide me with much to blog about.    

No comments:

Post a Comment