Saturday, June 18, 2011

Home sweet home

I'm sitting at home on the couch watching tv, life in America is good haha. I'm happy to be home, it's a relief really. Being in a place where everyone speaks my language, I know the area, and fit into the culture is quite comforting. Not to mention, seeing my family and friends(which I haven't yet actually) is awesome. I absolutely love traveling, and the middle east was amazing, but I'm glad to back.

The story of how I got here is fairly interesting. Wednesday morning I woke up in Cairo for my last day in Egypt and the middle east. I went to the Saladin Citadel in the center of Cairo to meet up with my friend Mostafa. The citadel was built by the legendary Muslim general Saladin to defend the city against the Crusaders. He eventually moved from Egypt to conquer much of the crusader held territory including Jerusalem. The citadel itself is pretty awesome, the mosque inside is gorgeous. I'm not a Muslim, but being in these incredible mosques did make me feel something. I'm not sure how to explain it. Mostafa is a really cool dude too, and it was great to hang out with him for awhile. It's too bad we didn't get to spend more time together, but I'm sure he'll come to the US soon enough.





































After the Citadel I said goodbye to Mostafa, and his country. I headed back to the Cairo airport to start my journey home. I was given a bit of a hard time trying to board to the plane because I had a one way flight, but hey I'm going home. The flight to London, yeah I didn't have a direct flight unfortunately, was painless and I saw a couple decent movies. Once I was in Heathrow Airport though, I had a ton of time. 13 hour layovers ftl haha. But I met up with my friend Thomas, and we hung out at a 24 pool hall/bar. It was a lot of fun and I got a taste of London for a few hours. Tom is awesome and hilarious too, it was good meeting him. Oh and it was so nice to be in a place where people speak English, well I guess THE place where people speak English.
















At 6 in the morning I headed back to Heathrow to finally fly home. The flight sucked, I couldn't sleep. When I finally made to Newark I was really happy to be home. My dad picked me up, and an hour later I was home for the first time in weeks. The trip was amazing, one of the best experiences of my life. I did and saw things that blew my mind, I met awesome people, and experienced cultures very different from my own. شكرا תודה Middle East, you've been great to me. All that said, I'm excited to pick up my life at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment